Friday, March 22, 2013

Gone Fishing!

When I was very young, one of my favorite pasttimes was going fishing. My daddy was my first fishing buddy. He would take me fishing at some of the ponds around the area and also in the creek behind our house and Deep River .  My dad taught me how to bait a hook and how to remove the fish from the hook once I had caught one. He also taught me how to  clean the fish that I caught. Those were some of my favorite times spent with my dad. But of course, not all of those trips were as safe as they should have been. I can remember one time in particular when Daddy took me fishing off the banks of the river.  He brought his 'refreshments" with him and while I fished, he drank and then took a nap under a tree. I fished for a few hours and even fell into the water .I was dry by the time he woke up and then we went home. I look back on it now and thank God that he kept me safe but back then I thought it was fun. But even then at around 8 years old or so, I had enough sense Not to tell Mama what happened. She would have thrown a fit.

Daddy used to tell me stories about things he did when he was a boy while we fished. Those are some of my favorite times with my dad. As I got older, these times became fewer because he spent more and more of his "off work" time drinking  so each one of our fishing trips are treasured memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment