Thursday, April 5, 2012

Battleship

I have a game of Battleship in my rainyday game collection in my classroom. My own children had not only a regular Battleship game but my son also had an electronic StarWars version. Well, the makers of the game have nothing on me. I was playing my own version of "battleship" when I was 7 or 8 years old.(I'm amost 61 so obviously that has been awhile).  We lived by a creek and right up the hill from my house lived my cousin Darrell. We played all day long out in the woods and by the creek. Both of our dads usually had a "stash" of half gallon jars of moonshine. One day as we were playing, we got the idea to use the jars as battleships and rocks as bombs.  We put the jars in the creek and readied our ammo on the banks of the creek. As the jars floated by, we bombed them and saw who could sink the most battleships. We had a blast. It was a lot more fun than the current game but I will admit my game encountered a big problem when we had to face our dads. That was probably the worst spanking I ever received.But I still take credit for inventing the game of Battleship(redneck style).

3 comments:

  1. NO YOU DIDN"T!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did. Boy, was Daddy and Uncle Henry mad at us. Trust me we did not play that game again, but it sure was fun.

      Delete
  2. This is my new fave story! I posted a link to this on twitter. I hope you get a lot of folks to read it. I also think you should right a story and incorporate this into it! :)

    ReplyDelete